Well, I did not blog or write as much this year as I did in 2012 a) because I spent most of my time writing my master’s thesis and b) because I started personal training full time (since being in school) in June. But I did reach a few really awesome milestones though. I passed the 100 published article mark (since starting in 2009), had my first article published on BodyBuilding.com and was also featured on Arnold Schwarzenegger’s official website with a popular article I wrote on Hybrid Density Training.
Let’s get to the top 6 articles of 2013 shall we!
1. Hybrid Density Training: THE BEST Fat Loss Workout You’re Not Doing – This was an outstanding achievement for me that I’m super proud about. My Hybrid Density Training routine is super hard and not for everyone. As a side note, the best and only way to lose fat is to have a calorie deficit. Along with eating sensibly, this high intensity workout will ramp up your calorie expenditure and help get that energy balance equation to shift in your favour.
2. 5 Reasons You’re Not Seeing Results in the Gym – Written by my good friend and colleague Chad Landers, from Push Private Fitness in California, this article went viral and was shared by every person on the planet (sort-of). Even Yahoo Sports picked it up and published it (here). This article should probably be read over and over, especially since most will be looking to get fit in 2014.
3. The One Movement Pattern Everybody Does Wrong – More of a video than an article, this post gives you a step-by-step how-to on the hip hinge. Being able to move through your hips and not your spine is crucial for long term back health, developing lower body and core strength and for optimal athletic performance….and everybody performs it wrong.
4. 5 Tips on Getting a Badass Physique – The title is self-explanatory. If you want to look great naked, follow these 5 tips. Trust me, they work!
5. Why the Word Cardio Doesn’t Make Much Sense – This article was my first appearance on BodyBuilding.com. It went viral and was well received. People love to hate on cardio and coming from a middle-distance-runner background, I felt I had to stand up for it.
6. Russian Revolution: Enter the Kettlebell – This was my last training feature in Reps magazine. Robert Kennedy Publishing closed their doors in the summer and this was the last published issue. In this article, I give you a little history on the kettlebell, workout options and also quote kettlebell greats such as Pavel, Dan John, Steve Cotter and Brett Jones.
Here’s wishing you an amazing end to 2013 and to an even more successful 2014.